What it is and why does it matter?
There are countless definitions of design, as you might expect of a creative endeavour. Some aim to categorise design, to explain how it is different from or related to other activities, while others try to inspire good design. Here’s a simple definition from former Design Council Chairman, Sir George Cox in the Cox Review:
Design is what links creativity and innovation. It shapes ideas to become practical and attractive propositions for users or customers. Design may be described as creativity deployed to a specific end.’ The Cox Review
Most of the results of design are visible, and that lends itself to another simple definition: ‘Design is all around you, everything man-made has been designed, whether consciously or not’. The question therefore isn't so much 'what is design and why does it matter?' but 'how can I use good design to make the world around me better?'
Graphic design is an essential and fundamental part of web design. It encompasses everything from a colour palette, typography, and image style, to the layout and organisation of content. Successful web design is a good combination of the creative spirit and practical application of elements so that they combine to become usable in an effective and enjoyable way.
Successful web design combines creative spirit and practical elements.
Increasing a website's visual appeal, professionalism, and usability by using good design will give a huge boost to your website:
- Stimulating visitors aesthetic senses by visual appeal is vital to web design because it promotes communication of ideas and a feeling of connection;
- Effective graphic design is essential to add professionalism to your site. Poor or amateurish design won't be good for business;
- Good design gives an appearance of authority on the subject; your content is far more likely to be taken seriously and considered worthy of reading - or buying even, and
- Usability is very important and a well-considered design will have usability as a paramount importance. Visitors have a notoriously short attention span when browsing and will quickly leave if they can't find what they want or don't like the set-up.
Visitors will want to stay on your site by using graphic design to keep navigation simple, making sure your graphics and content appropriate, and choosing well coordinated colors and text styles.
Find out more about:
- Single page websites;
- E-Mail Marketing - using Mailshot to send newsletters;
- CMS - using WordPress, Joomla etc to control content;
- Success with Google - building and promoting websites to Web Standards, and
- Using Social media - using Facebook, Twitter etc to attract more visitors.
E-Mail Marketing - using Mailshot to send newsletters
Mailshot is a complete online mass email system for non-technical users. Prepare, send and save email campaigns and analyse reports of your messages.
CREATE STYLISH, PROFESSIONAL EMAILS
Get in the driving seat and create and send your own email campaigns - from your desktop.
Choose a template (or use your own, built to your style), add your own content, select recipients and schedule delivery in your own time.
Tuition and Support in Graphic Design and Web Design techniques and practice
We have nearly 40 years' experience teaching in this field - more than any other UK university - and continue to deliver innovative teaching and influential research in cultural policy, arts management, and the creative industries.
Creative industries tuition: At your place and at your place
As a qualified Adult Education Tutor I can offer training and tuition to individuals or groups, either in a formal structured format or as bespoke lessons, tailored to suit your requirements. The main area of my expertise is in the use of creative software such as Adobe's Creative Suite applications which are used to produce web pages, graphics, page layouts for print, advertisments, business stationery and so on.
Adobe Creative Suite Tuition
Using the applications in Adobe's industry-standard graphics suite Creative Suite requires considerable expertise, which I have acquired over nearly 20 years of hands-on experience. I'm only too pleased to be able to pass on whatever knowledge I have.
Please contact me for a chat about how I can help you create stunning graphics and page layouts with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Flash.
I can help you create web graphics using Fireworks and show you how to organise and share documents with confidence using the powerful and industry-essential Acrobat Pro.
Tuition can be arranged either on a one-off basis, for specific instructions, or as a structured course, tailored to meet your needs.
Web design techniques and using CSS
About using Dreamweaver and working with CSS
is one of the most popular choices for professional web site designers.
Whether you are designing a web site or publishing to a company
Intranet, I can teach you all you need to know about using Dreamweaver.
Tuition is designed for anyone who needs to design and create exciting and interactive websites. You are NOT expected to be a web designer. Tuition is aimed at ordinary people who need to get to grips with Dreamweaver.
- You will be able to create exciting, dynamic, visually attractive web sites.
- You will learn the principles of good web design.
- You will learn how to create new Web pages and maintain existing ones
Tuition can include:
- Creating a Basic Document
- Page Properties
- Embedding links
- Publishing a Web Pages
- Website Management
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- Designing to Web Standards
If you're a new or relatively new Apple Macintosh User, I can offer personal tuition which will help you get the most out of your Mac.
My training course is designed to give new or users of Apple Macintosh computers an introduction and tuition in all aspects of the computer from the very basics of setting-up and the 'naming of the parts' to using the Internet and the bundled applications which come with your computer.
By the end of my training course, users will be able to:-
- Understand the Mac operating system and how it works.
- Connect and use external devices such as Printers, Scanners and Cameras
- Organise all types of Files and Folders
- Browse the Internet and use email
- Use the bundled applications such as iWork, iTunes and iMovie.
Please contact me for more information about Mac tuition.
I have studied and practiced photography for 35 years - shooting either on location or using mobile studio facilities, for documentary, editorial, advertising and packaging clients.
All photography is shot with Nikon high res digital cameras and the images can be made print ready with CMYK conversions and proofs made in-house (Standard).
Commercial photography - locations, events, interiors, products, food... and 360° photography to show Virtual Tours of your property.